I was an attorney at Miller Nash for 15 years, having received a BA from Vassar College and a JD and Federal Tax Certification from Lewis and Clark College. I left at the end of 2011 to start my own practice. At the firm, I started out in tax litigation, then migrated to business transactions and general business work. Because the phrase "business transactions and general business work" doesn't tell you much, here are the specifics.
I am also interested in who you are.
I have experience in complex commercial transactions, tax litigation and analysis, and renewable energy development and financing. As a Partner at Miller Nash, I worked with clients on a variety of complex transactions in a diverse collection of industries.
See Representative Clients.
I advise on state and federal tax incentives, structuring and governance, and financing; negotiate all types of contracts, and assist with general business matters.
This breadth of experience means I can help you handle the myriad of important details critical to the success of your project or transaction. At the same time, I understand the big picture and will keep your broader goals in focus.
I have a direct style, communicate clearly, and deliver exceptional service. If you have a project that may benefit from my services, please do not hesitate to contact me to find out more.
Michelle Slater Law LLC
1631 NE Broadway #606
Portland, OR 97232
Business advice, strategy and management
Bankruptcy | Workouts | Trusts | Tax
Energy & Sustainability
Mergers & Acquisitions
Lewis & Clark Law School (formerly Northwestern School of Law), J.D.,
Federal tax certificate
Vassar College, B.A., English literature
Aequitas Capital Management
Assured Equity Inc.
CBC Fitness Consulting
ContiFinancial Corporation Liquidating Trust
Obsidian Finance Group, LLC
Outback Solar, LLC
PV Technology, Inc.
Southern Pacific Funding Corporation
SPFC Liquidating Trust (Jeffrey H. Beck, Trustee)
The Bridgetown Group
Willamette Industries, Inc.
Examples of Work
- Assisted in-house counsel of client negotiate and review multiple supply contracts; interfaced with sales staff, ensured business terms complied with legal requirements, negotiated terms sheets and contracts
- Helped client sell part of his company to a key employee
- Prepared consulting agreements, confidentiality agreements, joint development agreements, and purchase and sale agreements for both large and small companies
- Represented "hard money lender" in negotiations with bank for revolving line of credit and other financial tools
- Helped clients move assets between multiple subsidiaries to prepare for sale of one company and financing transaction with respect to another transaction
- Represented a private equity company in its two-year effort to acquire a publicly traded company; negotiated confidentiality agreements, performed due diligence, drafted multi-party agreements between bidding partners, purchase and sale agreements
- Helped liquidating trustee to liquidate a corporate bankruptcy estate, including 20 subsidiaries and distressed financial assets connected with over 70 sub-prime securitization trusts, drafted and negotiated complex, multi-party agreements, purchase and sale agreements, auction procedures; advised on complicated structured finance and tax issues
- Acted as US counsel for sellers, a Bahamian and a Brazilian entity, in the sale of a Brazilian company to a new entity formed by its former employees. Worked with local counsel to draft and negotiate the operative document, including the securities transfer agreement, assignments, certificates, indemnification agreement, guarantees, and an asset servicing agreement. Coordinated tax and accounting reviews and advice.
- Acted as US counsel in the sale by two Uruguayan companies of a portfolio of Argentine contracts secured by equipment, mortgages, guarantees and other security.
- Helped a client reverse an adverse property tax valuation by intervening in a case before the Oregon Tax Court by successfully briefing and arguing our position
- Represented plaintiffs in a set of five consolidated cases brought by four individuals and Willamette Industries, Inc. making a broad challenge to the legality of the Western Oregon Forestland Privilege Tax
- Represented U.S. Bancorp in ten matters (ranging from tax audit to filed cases at both the state and federal level)covering issues raised in tax years 1986-1994 for U.S. Bancorp, affiliates, and/or financial institutions acquired by U.S. Bancorp (related to pre-acquisition tax years).
- Represented renewable energy developer in obtaining multiple Oregon business energy tax credits, litigation with Oregon Department of Energy regarding those tax credits, and participated in legislative efforts to preserve and improve incentive program
- Negotiated state and county tax incentive package for large national wind developer
- Assisted clients with analysis of opportunities to develop biomass facilities, negotiated with land owners for joint property use, prepared and negotiated feedstock agreements, advised on available tax incentives for biomass collection and energy production; advised Oregon Department of Energy on rules for biomass collector's credit
- Negotiated transmission services and interconnection agreement for renewable energy developer; advised on regulatory issues related to energy development and connection to transmission lines; drafted and negotiated co-development agreement and power purchase agreement for large solar facility.
Oregon State Bar
- Business Law Section
- Solo and Small Firm Practitioners Section
- Sustainable Future Section (Executive Committee, 2010- present; Chair, 2012, Editor In Chief, 2011-present)
Oregon Women Lawyers Association
Washington State Bar Association
Multnomah Bar Association
I support these organizations:
Portland Youth Philharmonic Association
(various positions since 2004)
- Board of Directors
- Corporate Secretary
- Chair, Development Committee
- Program and Education Committee
Lewis & Clark Law School Alumni
(various positions since 2004)
- Board of Directors
- Chair, Distinguished Honors Committee
Campaign for Equal Justice
Basic Rights Oregon
Oregon Cultural Trust
The Business Energy Tax Credit: No Longer an Effective Incentive for Renewable Energy Resource Facilities
Business Energy Tax Credit Update (HB 3680-B)
Reining In the BETC: Recommendations to the Governor
The New, Temporary BETC Rules: Raising the Bar
The New, Temporary BETC Rules: Raising The Bar (Detailed)
Conservation Can Help Future Energy Demands, Oregon Business (Sept. 2010)
Contributor, Renewable Energy Resources 2008 Annual Report, ABA Section of Environment, Energy, and Resources (2008)
Bankruptcy Liquidating Trusts - One Size Does Not Fit All
Renewable Energy Policy Update
Lewis & Clark Law School Business Law Fall Forum
NIPPC Annual Meeting
OLI Presents: Green Business Law
New Permitting and Planning Challenges for Renewable Projects
Sustainability Practice Groups
Learning the Ropes